Navigating the complicated process of the Research and Development (R&D) tax incentive and other business grants can be overwhelming, and opportunities could be missed. Our R&D Tax and Grants specialists are experts in this field and can help you through the entire process.
R&D tax incentive is a federal government scheme designed to encourage innovation and entrepreneurial spirit within Australian businesses. The incentive works by either allowing businesses to access a tax refund or to pay less tax based on their investment in eligible Research and Development projects throughout the financial year.
The offset is very generous for early stage businesses and can result in a cashback amount of more than 40% of expenditure for businesses in a tax loss position.
There are also many business grants and incentives available for business owners, such as:
- Export Market Development Grant (EMDG) which is targeted for aspiring and current exporters.
- Early Stage Innovation Company (ESIC) incentive which aims to connect start-ups that qualify as an ESIC with investors.
Rather than spending your time trying to understand and navigate the claim process for the R&D tax incentive or other business grants, speak to one of our experts and let them guide you through the process.
We can help you access theR&D tax incentive
We assist with all aspects of the R&D tax claim process, including:
- Reviewing all of your business’ activities.
- Identifying and scoping R&D activities.
- Reviewing internal documentation to substantiate the claim.
- Preparing R&D project documentation.
- Prepare and lodge the Application for Registration.
- Calculating eligible R&D expenditure.
- Preparing the ATO R&D Tax Schedule.
- Responding to requests for information.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are several requirements to consider when assessing your eligibility for the R&D tax incentive, such as you must be operating as an Australian-based company and cannot be tax excempt.
To help determine eligibility for the R&D tax incentive, we’ve put together a series of questions that our R&D experts use when reviewing potential claims:
- Was a scientific experiment carried out?
- Were you trying to achieve something unknown or whether something previously untried would be effective?
- Were you trying to solve a technical problem?
- Did the experiment employ the scientific method?
- Was the purpose of the experiment to generate new knowledge?
- In order to generate new knowledge, were you aiming to create new or improved materials, products, devices, processes or services beyond what is currently available in the industry?
- Did the experiment involve an unknown outcome or a technical risk?
- Is the outcome you are seeking unavailable on a commercial basis?
- Is there a risk that the experiment may fail to produce the outcome you are hoping to achieve?
If you answered yes to these scenarios, the activity is a core Research and Development activity. You should retain contemporaneous documentation to demonstrate each of the points outlined above. If you answered no to any of these, the activity is not a core R&D activity, however, the activity may qualify as a supporting R&D activity.
Contact our R&D and Grants specialists for more information.
In terms of the technical side of the claim, you’ll need documented evidence of the activities that have been undertaken throughout the year. As far as expenditure goes, it’s best practice to have timesheet evidence for salary and wages claims, and invoices available for contractor and other direct costs.
A company must incur a minimum of $20,000 on eligible expenditure to be eligible for an Research and Development claim.
The governing bodies associated with R&D claims (AusIndustry and the ATO) typically audit companies once every three to five years. It’s important to have the correct documentation in place up front to support your claim and allow you to rest easy.
Learn more about the R&D tax incentive.
Black Lab Games Case Study
Black Lab Games is a video game development studio that develops and releases high quality, interactive gaming experiences. While working on a new game, Black Lab Games wanted to explore the R&D tax incentive.
Carbon helped Black Lab Games prepare the project description to address the criteria required to be an eligible R&D project. The costs incurred throughout the financial year were assessed, and the end result was a healthy cash refund to Black Lab Games, equivalent to 43.5% of the R&D expenditure identified.
Contact us today Book a free consultation
Contact us today to learn more about the R&D tax incentive. Simply fill in the form below and our research and development specialist will be in touch shortly.
A local team dedicated to your business.
Carbon Group have been an awesome investment to our business. Their staff are super friendly and extremely helpful and their knowledge in cost savings first class.
Carbon have assisted us to become more in touch with our business' progress as it has grown and developed.
We love Carbon, they help us stay on track and grow our company with confidence. Plus they give us beer at meetings, what’s not to like?
Our experience with Carbon has been fantastic. Our bookkeeping costs are the same each week which is great as we were hourly before and the fluctuation was hard to track.
I have confidence in Carbon to complete our work to a high standard and deliver work on time.
Since starting with Carbon Group, not only do I have a much better overall understanding of my business, but more free time to actually carry out the work required.
We have been impressed with Carbon ever since we changed over. We love how there is a seamless integration of the accounting department and the bookkeeping departments.
Carbon is an integral part of our support network for achieving our organisation’s mission. We continually receive knowledgeable, timely and generous assistance from both the bookkeeping team.
Fantastic serves, staff and very friendly. I would 100% recommend to anyone wanting a great accountant.
Carbon Group are an amazing company and they certainly know what they're doing. Great staff, friendly and prompt service. I will recommend them to anyone!
Carbon Group has helped reduced our bookkeeping and accounting costs by 50%