Fantastic turnout at our quarterly networking event on Tuesday evening, kindly hosted by the team at Mayfair Lane. It was great to see so many faces keen to hear insights from our two industry experts; Charlie Gunningham, CEO, Business News, and Bernard Chia, Managing Director, Alyka.
Whilst providing valuable information on the economy for WA businesses, it was also a great opportunity for some networking amongst like-minded business owners and individuals. Hopefully you met some new faces and built some new business relationships.
Special thanks to our speakers Charlie and Bernard. I’ve summarised some key takeaways below:
Charlie Gunningham – Outlook for WA Businesses in 2017 and Beyond
- 2016 was a tough year in our local economy, but 2017 already looks brighter
- Despite the downturn, the economy is still growing. Unemployment is under 6% and there are bright spots
- Mining is not going away, and agriculture, tourism, education, health and IT show real promise for local economy
- If you need to turn your business around you need 3 things:
- Admit you’re going in the wrong direction
- Find a way of turning the convoy around and then;
- Strike out in the right direction (hint: the trend is your friend!)
Charlie is offering everyone who attended a free 2-month trial to Business News and the BNiQ Search Engine (Book of Lists). Simply email Charlie and mention this event! email@example.com
Bernard Chia – Next Generation of Digital Marketing
- 2016 State of WA Digital Report shows up to 75% of WA businesses do not currently have a system to plan, execute and measure digital marketing activities
- Whilst there are many different digital marketing opportunities today, your website is still the most important element
- All opportunities converge to your website, hence it is important to get it right first – great content, creative, information architecture, and call to actions to maximise opportunities
- Artificial intelligence driven programmatic ads are the future of PPC advertising in WA
- The system will automatically optimise campaigns to ensure the budget delivers optimal results sooner, minimising human involvement and allowing the majority of budget to be spent on media
- Audience group targeting opportunities goes beyond digital – we can also target individuals based on their offline behaviours
- Targeting options are constantly expanding – with increasing reach and depth with digital audio ads, digital OOH ads, etc
- Display ads are also much more interactive and will cut through the majority of ads being displayed today
- E-newsletter automation should be used as a lead nurturing strategy in every business
- Beyond lead nurturing, e-newsletter automation can also be used to measure NPS thus providing multiple benefits beyond sales opportunity
Businesses can download the 2016 State of WA Digital Report to help them benchmark their own digital marketing efforts.
Lastly, our next networking event will be on Tuesday 29th August, with guest speakers from Yappy, Media Stable and Mills Oakley. Location is tbc, so save the date and keep an eye out for invites which will be sent out nearer the time. Ticket sales from these events are donated to charity. This quarter, we raised over $600 for Classroom of Hope! See you at the next event.